Thursday, January 28, 2010

Zulu Culture and my Host Family

Sawubona! Hello!
I moved in with my host family yesterday :-) There is my mama, and her two sons, Carl and Brian. Carl is 22 and Brian is 26, engaged to Colo. (I'm still not 100% sure on Colo's name yet, it's pronounced with a clicking noise, and she gave me her nickname.) They live in Cato Manor, which is a township inside of the city of Durban.

They appear to be much better off than other families in Cato Manor. My mama has 3 bedrooms, a few satellite channels, a tv, a computer, and internet access. My mama deals with insurance, and has had 10 other American students before me. To wash up, we fill a basin with water to rinse off while standing in a tub. We do not have hot water, and must heat it up using an electric kettle.(I was fine with cold water as it is always quite humid and hot here!)

The way that they dress and speak to each other is different from American culture. It is considered rude if you do not immediately greet your mama in the morning, or whenever you see her again. They call each other mama, baba (father), bhuti (brother), and sisi (sister). These terms are even used to greet or connect with strangers, similiar to the way we use ma'am or sir. It is completely acceptable to walk into your yard without a shirt on (for both men and women), but you do not wear shorts or skirts above the knee. It is also less appropriate to wear jeans.

The South Africans are prideful about what they wear. I never see people (even the poorest people) in raggy or holey clothing. My mama was insistent that I iron my clothing for the next day.

We have been warned that they eat a lot of starch and meat. They have also been asked to provide us with some fruits and vegetables. My mama fed me the best meal I've had on the trip so far! It was a type of chicken stew, with vegetables and chicken wings. We were told that if we didn't leave a little something on the plate to signify that we were full, we would be fed continuously! In Zulu culture, our mama's strive to have the fattest guest. Also, the most attractive women are much larger than what Americans often think are ideal.

As a family last night, we watched a soap opera (Generations, in a combo of English and Zulu), the news (in Zulu), and the South Africa v. Zimbabwe soccer game. The soccer game was like a Packers/Vikings game - all the neighbors where yelling and many people were visiting the house, totally into the game. 

I brought my host family WI maple syrup. They liked the taste of it, but only Brian had ever had 'flapjacks' with syrup before. I will make them pancakes one morning (if I can get up before them - they all rise at 5am!).
This weekend we will spend with our host families, likely going downtown and to the beach. 


Hamba Kahle! Go Well!

5 comments:

  1. Tasha, It sounds awesome! So much for watching your weight but enjoy all the new foods. I love the ironing of your clothes. It sounds like you have a nice host family and experiences with Americans so that is nice. Good Luck on starting school! Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tahsa,
    Your host family sounds wonderful! And it is easy to tell that you are enjoying every part of the cultural experience. Glad to hear you are sharing some of our culture with them as well. Take care. Be safe.
    Hugs from Home, Tammy Tillotson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tash,
    I love reading your posts!! It sounds like you are learning and experiencing something new every day. As for the humid weather, I wouldn't mind that at all right now. We have -10 this morning without the wind chill. Thanks for keeping us posted, love it. Aunt Tammy P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tash,
    It sounds interesting with your host family. Keep posting, it's great reading. I'm glad you got your luggage and glasses, hopefully everything was still in there.
    We are all very proud of you.
    Enjoy yourself.
    Love and miss you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your getting settled in, and getting into a routine. Keep posting enjoy hearing of your adventures, and experiences.

    Scott Tillotson

    ReplyDelete